Translate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

2013 Ford C-Max


2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

 

The C-Max was my family’s rental car while in Daytona, Florida for a kart race.  At first, I was quite disappointed when I was shown the C-Max; I thought it was boring.  I am only a passenger, so my comments on handling and performance ar only what my father, who did drive the car, said.

            In some ways, the C-Max reminded me of the Honda CR-V I reviewed a few days ago, especially ugly from the rear, but not bad from the front.  I really love how all new Fords have the Aston Martin style grille.  It’s just fantastic.  But the C-Max is still disproportionately tall.  However, I thought the silver paint did complement certain sections of the car.

            The only overall excellent thing, other than gas mileage, about the C-Max was the interior.  Sure, it’s all plastic, but it was very pleasing.  The styling was edgy and modern, and the space wasn’t too shabby either.  I think Fords touch screen system needs some work though, it was impossible to figure out how to simply turn off the radio.  In fairness, I didn’t really try to do anything with it.

            As soon as I set foot in the C-Max, I knew the performance would be less than desirable.  And so it was.  According to my dad, the C-Max suffered from persistent understeer.  However, understeer is quite a bit better than oversteer, so no big worry.  He said the brakes were incredibly touchy, although they did provide good stopping power.  .  I also found the ride quality surprisingly bouncy and unpleasant, and in a car that wasn’t meant to handle well, you would expect the ride to be good.  But no.

Now, the C-Max is a hybrid, so it does get wonderful gas mileage.  We did not have to refuel even once, having received the car on a quarter tank.  I am not certain what our average MPG was, but it was almost certainly above 40.

            So the Ford C-Max, it has its strong points and bad points.  For somebody like me, The C-Max just doesn’t work.  It’s too slow, it doesn’t handle, and you don’t get a uniqueness factor either.  But, as far as the MPV class goes, it’s quite nice. It is an overall good car, and given the choice between this and its competitors, I’d go with the C-Max. 
Note: for those who were wondering, I am a student, I’m 12

No comments:

Post a Comment